Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

How to Forgive your Bus Driver

Let's give Larry here a chance.
        Growing up in various public schools, I've had my fair share of ups and downs, bests and worsts with bus drivers and their behavior. There were the shouty ones, the stand-uppy ones, and the call-your-parents-over-nothing sort. I'm not saying that I'm some guru here who's ridden every bus on the Western side of the world (though that would be fun), but I'm hoping y'all can relate here. One thing that I've always had trouble doing since I was 5 has been dealing empathy to the bus driver.
        A few days ago, I was waiting for a bus on a route I hadn't taken before. I was sitting indoors in a Boscov's, and I happened to be the only one at the stop. Two minutes behind schedule, I noticed the characteristic engine noises and waited for the bus to come to a stop and check for any passengers. It did not stop. I went outside, thinking it would just readjust somewhere more convenient, but even after noticing me flail my arms around, it kept making its way out of the parking lot. In the end, I flagged down the bus and got into it a little out of breath, and a little ticked. The driver made no acknowledgement of me, and when I asked what the fare was he only made a subtle gesture to the post. I was not aware the machine did not give change (in my defense, I felt a little rushed), so I lost an extra $3.30 that the bus company probably appreciated. As I went to take my seat, all I received from the bus pilot was a dirty, unforgiving stare.
         So, not that pleasant an experience. But later on, I saw the bus driver conversing with a mentally retarded passenger about sports, after receiving a very pleasant "good day, how are you?" Then, I noticed him lower the bus elevation in order to accommodate an elderly lady. In retrospect, I had been more at fault here than I realized. As human beings, it can be very easy for us to only consider ourselves when we feel like we've been wronged by others. But there's true practice in compassion when we stop to consider how it all feels from the perspective of the waitress, the custodian, the bus driver.
          Bus drivers have to go through a lot. First of all, they get stress out the bum, just considering:


  • Constant pressure to be on time
  • Traffic, and of course assholes
  • Asshole passengers 
  • Hardly any assistance from the assholes up top
  • Physical assault and crime (by assholes)
  • Being, essentially, isolated and alone on the job

Something like this?
          Now for the physical perks of being a bus driver:

  •  A hunch that rivals that of the Hunchback if you're tall
  •  A pedal or two that are awkwardly tucked away from you
  •  Minimal calorie expenditure from sitting down all day 
  •  Very few, short breaks




           The childhood lesson of "taking a walk in someone else's shoes" is so applicable here. When we're not put under the same circumstances as the driver, it's easy to be cold, judging, and inconsiderate. But the easiest way to forgive your bus driver of their transgressions is to simply love them. Love them for getting you where you need to go, for being reliable and cheap, and just for being them! So take a second to understand them, and quit being an asshole and have a nice conversation with them. We all have our good and bad days, and sometimes we could use a little boost from a stranger.
           My bus driver's name was James. He has a wife and two kids, and the older can kick a soccer ball like it's his job. He's been obsessed with the Olympics recently, is voting for Obama, and has been having lumbar pains a lot recently. He plays a mean game of gin rummy. I think you'd like him, and who knows? One day, you might meet him. So will you remember who he is, or will you just pay attention to what he is?


    P.S. Bus drivers are damn good at what they do. I can't even begin to count the number of close turns and snap decisions I've seen them make.

          Have any stories, jobs, or people to contribute? Please do.